Rylee is getting so big. We knew she would need a regular-sized bed soon (even though she loved her Tinkerbell toddler bed) so we started planning for it a couple months ago.
The other problem to tackle was that I was ready for them to be in the same room (so I could have an office back!) Our bedrooms aren't very big, though, so we weren't sure how to get them both in.
So the obvious solution was a bunkbed. But our 10-month-old wouldn't be ready for a twin-sized bed for a long, long time. This is why I am so lucky to have such an amazingly smart and handy husband. He designed a bunkbed that would work with our crib! (Then when J is big enough we can add the regular sized bed in place of the crib.) It took a lot of measuring and designing before we were finally ready to start, but once he got going Chad whipped it up in no time!
Most of the building he did in our garage (he's very lucky to have a great boss who lets him borrow their nice tools). Then I got to help by painting it black to match the crib and dresser. (P.S. This is a HUGE bed and we went through a ton of paint. Although a lot of it did end up on my hands, arms, knees, feet, face ...)
Rylee and I picked out monkey sheets that she absolutely loves and she spent a lot of time practicing on the ladder.
This weekend the project was finally done and Ry got to spend her first night in her new bed! And the best part about Chad making the bed from scratch is that he built it strong enough to hold the whole family! Now Ry and I can lay up there together to read stories before bed. The only thing keeping Jayden out is his short little legs. Too bad that won't last long!
It might take a little while for the kids to adjust to sharing a room, though. They just love playing together way too much. Needless to say, we have had a couple of very tired kiddos around our house the last few days. I'm sure this bed will provide years of fun for these two!!







The other problem to tackle was that I was ready for them to be in the same room (so I could have an office back!) Our bedrooms aren't very big, though, so we weren't sure how to get them both in.
So the obvious solution was a bunkbed. But our 10-month-old wouldn't be ready for a twin-sized bed for a long, long time. This is why I am so lucky to have such an amazingly smart and handy husband. He designed a bunkbed that would work with our crib! (Then when J is big enough we can add the regular sized bed in place of the crib.) It took a lot of measuring and designing before we were finally ready to start, but once he got going Chad whipped it up in no time!
Most of the building he did in our garage (he's very lucky to have a great boss who lets him borrow their nice tools). Then I got to help by painting it black to match the crib and dresser. (P.S. This is a HUGE bed and we went through a ton of paint. Although a lot of it did end up on my hands, arms, knees, feet, face ...)
Rylee and I picked out monkey sheets that she absolutely loves and she spent a lot of time practicing on the ladder.
This weekend the project was finally done and Ry got to spend her first night in her new bed! And the best part about Chad making the bed from scratch is that he built it strong enough to hold the whole family! Now Ry and I can lay up there together to read stories before bed. The only thing keeping Jayden out is his short little legs. Too bad that won't last long!
It might take a little while for the kids to adjust to sharing a room, though. They just love playing together way too much. Needless to say, we have had a couple of very tired kiddos around our house the last few days. I'm sure this bed will provide years of fun for these two!!







That is so cute. What a good idea. Good work Chad. Your kiddos are adorable. I think we are going to be moving home around May/June so we will have to have some serious play dates! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is EXACTLY the same situation that we are going through! And just this morning I was thinking that bunk beds would be the solution, but how do you work that out with a crib. You guys are GENIUS! :)
ReplyDeleteThe bunk bed looks great! Chad, you never cease to amaze me with all your amazing skills!
ReplyDelete