Left Image

Left Image

Center Image

Center Image

Right Image

Right Image

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Our Move to Sandy

I have completely dropped this blog for the last couple years, but I am really seeing the problem in it lately. So much has passed that I haven't documented so I am going to attempt to catch up. (Thank goodness for dated iPhone photos and Facebook!)

Probably the first major event that I missed was our move from Logan to Sandy, UT. I think at the time I refused to blog about it because I kept thinking that if I ignored the event it wouldn't be true. Sometimes I'm grateful for delusions that make hard things more easy to deal with 😀. Anyway ...


In the end of August 2012, Chad and I decided our family needed a drastic change, for many reasons, but the main theme was general family prosperity and happiness. Chad gave notice at the cabinet shop, we listed our house for sale and made plans for living in Sandy. The last weekend of September we packed up the trailer and moved into  Chad's parents' basement for what I then thought was a brief stay. The plan was to sell our Logan house quickly then find our own place in Sandy while Chad worked as an electrical apprentice for his brother-in-law, Dave, and eventually went to school to get his electrician's liscence. 

I missed Logan, and my family, terribly, but was given a unique opportunity to grow closer to Chad's family than I had been able to in the 6 years we had already been married. I especially missed the atmosphere and scenery in Logan, but have come to appreciate the many advantages of living in a real city.
Chad and his family worked so hard to make the basement a home for us. The outside entrance was opened so we could come and go without disrupting anyone upstairs, the boys amazingly turned one of the bedrooms into a full kitchen for us (although it was fun to have a fridge right in the living room for a couple weeks) and the kids absolutely loved having a fenced in backyard to play in. 

Our temporary stay has since turned into a more long-term arrangement. After trying for some time to sell our house we decided it was time to find a renter to help cover the mortgage while we weren't living there. We found a fairly good renter and life went on for the next year and 3 months before we decided to try selling again. Chad and his dad, with help from several other family members, worked tirelessly to finish the basement in our Logan home at an unbelieveable low price in an effort to increase the value and we listed it again. In a way it was like going through the emotional trauma of saying goodbye all over again, though we knew it was the best thing for our family, and the house eventually sold in October 2014, leaving us free to finally plan for the future.

I imagine that if I had posted about this 3 years ago it would have been very differently worded. I think Heavenly Father knew I needed some time and perspective to realize how great of a blessing it really would be for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment